The Home Depot Smart Home at Duke is a research option for Gendell Center students.
Welcome to the Site
The Gendell Center for Energy and the Environment is the central focus of an Energy and Environmental Systems Engineering initiative that will prepare students to tackle significant societal problems related to environmental quality, and sustainable energy and security.
Our goals are to:
- Engage students in solving real world energy problems;
- provide hands-on experience in energy and the environment through "pilot plant" facilities;
- deliver an academic experience that integrates education and research;
- utilize a multi-scale "molecules to megawatts" approach, where students leverage advances in convergent technologies at the molecular scale to design new devices, energy systems and infrastructure;
- elevate the technical knowledge of students across Duke, in the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, the Pratt School of Engineering and the Nicholas School for the Environment and Earth sciences.