The goal of the Greenback Team was to create a "green" backup electricity source for a residence during periods of extreme blackout and inclement weather. The generators currently used by homeowners have a negative environmental impact.
The Greenback Team was composed of engineering students Matthew Campbell, Katherine Danziger, Addison Ferrell and
Dan Ryan. Trinity Arts & Sciences students included: Cathy Johnson, Seth Lewis, Steven Smith and Darby McEvoy.
Requirements for a New System
- Zero carbon emissions
- Low to no environmental impact
- Easily operable bor an average home owner
- High reliability
- Wide compatibitiliy with most electrical devices
- Unobstructive and low maintenance
- Reasonable charge time (less than 20 days)
- High usable energy out put (7.2 kWh)
A solar panel connected to a charge controller connected to a bank of batteries in a custom cabinet, connected to an inverter and then to house hold appliances. Read the team's final report.